Symphonic Band is designed for the more serious music student in mind. It builds on the fundamentals gained through prior band experience. More advanced musical concepts of harmony, rhythm, and individual technique are studied through this course. It is also designed to strengthen ensemble musicianship through rehearsal and performance of advanced band literature. Students must demonstrate advanced ability through performance of major, minor, and chromatic scales, higher-level solo literature, higher-level band literature, and sight-reading.
Course names are Instrumental Music: Band 1 (Semester 1) and Instrumental Music: Band 2 (Semester 2).
EXPECTATIONS OF STUDENTS
- Students will continually develop individual musical advancement by practicing every day. Students are also encouraged to seek a private instructor.
- Students will operate and perform as a group of disciplined young adults. Students will learn to become actively involved in all aspects of rehearsal. This means that no other work should be done during rehearsal.
- Students will establish and focus on cooperation.
- Students will be held accountable for taking care of personal and school-related instruments and equipment, including chairs, stands, and sheet music. Students will not touch instruments that do not belong to them.
- Students will consistently demonstrate group excellence with all performances.
- Students will enjoy each other’s company.
- The band program will involve parents in the activities of their children.
- Members will make themselves available for rehearsals and performances held outside the school day.
- Members will attend performances of other Green Hope fine arts programs in and out of the school day.
- Members of this group will represent Green Hope High School to the community with professionalism.