Concert Band is designed to strengthen the student’s individual musicianship through the study of basic music concepts and vocabulary as well as scales and technical studies. It is also designed to strengthen ensemble musicianship through the rehearsal and performance of intermediate to advanced band literature. Students must demonstrate intermediate ability through performance of major and chromatic scales, intermediate-level solo literature, intermediate-level band literature, and sight-reading.
In this course, students will apply the elements of music and musical techniques in order to sing and play music with accuracy and expression, interpret the sound and symbol systems of music, create music using a variety of sound and notational sources, gain understanding of the interacting elements to respond to music and music performances, and gain understanding of global, interdisciplinary, and 21st century connections with music.
Course names are Instrumental Music: Band 1 (Semester 1) and Instrumental Music: Band 2 (Semester 2).
EXPECTATIONS OF STUDENTS
- Students will continually develop individual musical advancement by practicing every day. Students are also encouraged to seek a private instructor.
- Students will operate and perform as a group of disciplined young adults. Students will learn to become actively involved in all aspects of rehearsal. This means that no other work should be done during rehearsal.
- Students will establish and focus on cooperation.
- Students will be held accountable for taking care of personal and school-related instruments and equipment, including chairs, stands, and sheet music. Students will not touch instruments that do not belong to them.
- Students will consistently demonstrate group excellence with all performances.
- Students will enjoy each other’s company.
- The band program will involve parents in the activities of their children.
- Members will make themselves available for rehearsals and performances held outside the school day.
- Members will attend performances of other Green Hope fine arts programs in and out of the school day.
- Members of this group will represent Green Hope High School to the community with professionalism.